Saturday 8 March 2008

i haz a youse too


"One small fact: You are going to die."

If I was Oprah Winfrey I would say The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is the book of the week, month and year and I would be one of the richest celebrity. It's bee awhile since I've read a book that I thought deserved 5 stars, and hands down this book deserves all 5 of them. It's hard to say what exactly it is about this book that you fall in love with, you only know that you have and you dread reading the few remaining pages because the ride will end. The story will be over. And you will feel empty without something so refreshing to read.

I was continually amazed with the way I almost liked the narrator, Death. Not at all like the sterotypical Grim Reaper. Let Death take a firm hold of your arm and let him pull you into the bewildering yet heartbreaking aura of Second World War Germany. The setting, Nazi Germany, was raw and almost Aryan. The girl, Liesel, is the protagonist of the book. A lover of words. The author, Markus Zusk weaves a captivating book. Well written and evenly paced. There were some passages that I read over and over again.

I'm now officially blind but loved every word on the pages. Verging on excellent, very beautiful. I'm truly grateful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

passed by your blog and wait - the book thief comes in that cover? the one i had was one with death, in a black robe in the snow in it. loved the book, couldnt stop reading it through the days, Death has a really good sense of humor and Max Vandenburg, if I didn't spell his name wrongly, almost makes me feel like dragging his jewish butt to my home ;p. but hey, yes, it's a good book. where'd you get that cover version anyway?

25 March 2008 at 22:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i shall go to amazon and get meself a copy ;)

31 March 2008 at 00:44  
Blogger Nisa said...

I'm going to take your word on this and get me a copy! =)

20 May 2008 at 16:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home