Monday 2 July 2007

for my friend

Last week, my friend asked me about the difference between happiness and meaning. I was stuck in a stupor state trying to come up with an answer (I tend to figure out something smart to say when asked a question, but I would normally end up with something confusing) and in the end, all I could say to my friend was "happiness is happiness and meaning is meaning" (see!).

Anyway, I'm currently reading a book by Jed Rubenfeld called The Interpretation of Murder. The book starts off with this..

"There is no mystery to happiness.

Unhappy men are all alike. Some wound they suffered long ago, some wish denied, some blow to pride, some kindling spark of love put out by scorn - or worse, indifference - cleaves to them, or they to it, and so they live each day within a shroud of yesterdays. The happy man does not look back. He doesn't look ahead. He lives in the present.

But there's the rub. The present can never deliver one thing: meaning. The ways of happiness and meaning are not the same. To find happiness, a man need only live in the moment; he need only live for the moment. But if he wants meaning - the meaning of his dreams, his secrets, his life - a man must reinhabit his past, however dark, and live for the future, however uncertain. Thus nature dangles happiness and meaning before us all, insisitng only that we choose between them."

For myself, I had always chosen meaning. I want to try happiness now. :)

p/s I had the best-day yesterday. Thank you everyone for the wishes. :) And thank you.

8 Comments:

Blogger War186 said...

Deep, man. ;P

Happy belated birthday once again. Glad to hear you had the best day. =)

2 July 2007 at 22:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm leaning more on meaning too, though happiness is more appealing...

your birthday recently? happy belated birthday then, dude =)

3 July 2007 at 03:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I forget your birthday? Happy belated birthday! Glad you had a great one :)

That is a very very meaningful passage and so true :)

3 July 2007 at 12:30  
Blogger Nonnie King said...

Finding meaning of everything is just too tiring.

Try happiness, it comes from the slightest things... Like a smile from someone you care.

who ah? who ah?

3 July 2007 at 18:58  
Blogger r&al said...

war. lol, wasnt supposed to be deep but ya.. :)

lizzie. ya, looking for meaning has been bitchy for me.. lol

thanks.. :)

sha. thanks :)

ya, everytime i continue reading that book i always read that first passage.. :)

nonnie. thats right, tiring! lol..

ya my mom's smile very cute.. =p

3 July 2007 at 22:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nonnie is right! it is tiring having to find meaning in life!

4 July 2007 at 04:54  
Blogger Ummu Ummati said...

Now that's the soppy Rebbe we know and love. Welkam bak dude!

Sounds like a very interesting book. Where did you get it?

Eh Nonnie, I got nice smile kan? KAN? =D =D =D

5 July 2007 at 10:28  
Blogger i said...

A little too insightful for my brain to compute on a Friday morning, but here's my two cents: while you're still young, go for happy. Because when you're older, with the experience of happiness (which ain't always happy) behind you, you're better equipped to appreciate meaning.

Oh, and happy belated birthday :)

6 July 2007 at 10:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home